7 Things you should know about Cardinals
- Cardinals prefer to face their food while eating. If you are using a tube feeder add a seed catching tray for better results.
- Their favorite seeds are safflower and black oil sunflower. Straight safflower is great because it will also deter squirrels!
- Cardinals love birdbaths, the water level should be 2-3 inches at the deepest part.
- Cardinals prefer dense coverage such as large shrubs, thick vines, and evergreen trees.
- Cardinals will hatch up to 4 broods in one season. The male tends the one while the female starts the next brood.
- The male cardinal is very defensive; it will spend hours fighting its reflection in windows. Putting window silhouettes on reflective surfaces can fix this problem.
- Cardinals can live up to 15 years in the wild.
Check out past learning articles
Peanut Wreath instruction manual (10760,10765,10745) The peanut wreath is a unique, easy access peanut-in-shell feeder. It is one of the few feeders available that properly dispenses whole peanuts in shell. It attracts jays, woodpeckers, nuthatches, and other peanut...read more
Why should I attract beneficial garden creatures? Mason bees pollinate up to 1500 blossoms per day! Bats eat up to 1000 mosquitoes in an hour! Ladybugs eat harmful pests such as aphids, mites and scale. Butterflies are a sign of a healthy garden and help the it grow...read more
7 things you should know about Nuthatches Nuthatches prefer to reside in open, mature pine trees. Their diet switches from insects and spiders in the summer to sunflower seeds and suet in the winter. In its search for insects, nuthatches will use “tools” such as bark...read more
300 Arthur St.
Mount Forest, ON
N0G 2L3 Canada
Phone: (8770) 664-3247
Fax: (877) 644-3211
Mon-Thu: 8am - 5pm Fri: 8am - 3pm